Cleaning brick walls and patios with dry ice provides a non-abrasive solution to traditional cleaning methods, protecting brick and mortar.
Whether cleaning up new construction or removing stains, dirt or weathering from older brick, dry ice blasting has many advantages.
Pressure-washing can “blow out” fresh Type N mortar, the standard used for brick. With hard-to-remove stains, the temptation with pressure-washing is to crank up the pressure. This can quickly damage the brick and mortar.
Dry ice blasting is gentle enough to remove water stains, salt spots, mold, mildew, wasp nests, and bird droppings from brick walls easily and safely. Other advantages include:
- One-pass cleaning, saving time and labor
- Minimal residue cleanup – dry ice sublimates into gas
- No hazmat disposal costs for used cleaning media
- No hazmat training or protection needed for operators
- No water mess to muddy up the job site
- No damage to brick and mortar from excessive pressures
- Less risk of damage during construction cleanup
Dry ice blasting removes paint, mold, smoke stains, soot, years of scum, and other aging effects from any surface. It is a powerful and efficient restoration method for historic homes, buildings, and even cars.
Advantages of Dry Ice Blasting
Dry ice blasting is aggressive enough to remove paint but delicate enough to protect your investment. Cleaning with dry ice can clean grime, remove lead-based paint, and bring out original detail.
Unlike abrasive or chemical restoration methods, dry ice blasting does not scratch or stain the surface. Instead, it uncovers the underlying surface and restores a structure to its original state. Dry ice blasting is easy to control and reaches the tightest cracks and corners without damaging surrounding objects.
Dry ice blasting restores surfaces without leaving secondary waste behind. This eliminates the cleanup step that traditional abrasive techniques create. Since dry ice sublimates, or turns from a solid to a gas, there is no water to clean up either.
Dry ice blasting is safe for the environment because it does not use dangerous chemicals or leave hazardous fumes behind and is safe for workers since it is non-flammable and non-conductive.